Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,594
Like?
True
In reply to JimPearce, 5 months ago

JimPearce wrote:

DR only drops 1/3 EV on the D7100 between ISO 100 and 200.

true

On the D7000 it drops 1 EV!

DR isn't the only reason I shoot at ISO 100 vs 200-250.

ISO 200 seems to add just enough noise to smooth out the shadows - and the extra shutter speed at 24 MP doesn't hurt either.

But you are still making a trade to mitigate an issue you see at ISO 100 (as you point out)...using increased noise at 200 to hide (smooth out) other noise the D7100 brings to the table on rare occasions. The D7100 also has unique results that some B&W shooters find hard to deal with. Rare as well.

And I'm sure you recall that I - like a lot of wildlife shooters - use 12 bit for speed. That extra bit of noise helps to inhibit posterization in post-processing with 12 bit too.

Yep, that's all true. For your type of shooting...staying away from ISO 100 and the cons it brings to the table with the D7100 (rare)...makes perfect sense.

"for the wildlife shooter using the D7100 in 12-bit, might be best to avoid ISO100" ...not bad advice in some situations.

There are other areas of photography where the choices you make wouldn't work. For that group, passing on the D7100 for the D5300 or D7200 might be the better move. No perfect camera

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
THATNew
TrueNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow