Forum ProPosts: 15,594
Like?
true
In reply to GaryR57, 5 months ago

GaryR57 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

GaryR57 wrote:

blue_cheese wrote:

Is the example of the banding we speak of, you will see that the pulled image is covered in horizontal line patterns of noise, the noise pattern is in streaks (bands) running horizontally. As you see some think it is perfectly acceptable, since any image pulled that much would show some sort of abhorrent noise, regardless if it was in line bands, circles, squares, triangles, or other shapes that rock your boat.

If you plan to underexpose by that much and pull the image back into existence, this camera may not be for you. The older D7000 seemed to fare better since the noise did not have such a distinct pattern it simply did not strike as obviously.

-- hide signature --

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand

That was a good example and is my first time seeing such.

But the OP stated in a response to me:

"I see subtle "banding" in normal pictures."

I wish that he (or someone) would post an example of banding in normal pictures.

From

No real shadow pushing

The banding is obvious for him but a little work can make it a non-issue.

I know what it looks like so it stands out for me, as well. Curse of knowing

Most obvious in the shadow area low and left of the child's lips.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Ok, now I have the curse too. Gee thanks Mako for making my wish come true

I guess I can't unsee it.

Sorry

I do have questions:

The example was a TIFF file. Was it original shot 12 or 14bit RAW?

12-bit. 14-bit mitigates it quite a bit as does simply shooting JPEG. Also, what RAW convertor you are using can affect the degree of it. LR, so far (ACR), seems to be the worst in terms of it showing up.

Also, the example was from a D5200 not a D7100 but as I understand it is the same sensor.

Yep, as far as I can tell and from looking at D7100 NEF's as well... issue seems the same one to the other.  Still, I think it a non-issue 99% of the time, and from my experience, Topaz Denoise makes it 100% a non-issue

I wonder if anyone could post up a link to a RAW file of a "normal" picture taken with a D7100?

I haven't got one right now. Sorry

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
THATNew
TrueNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow