Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?
Re: We can only review the cameras we have
In reply to Andy Westlake, 3 months ago

Andy Westlake wrote:

Birddogman wrote:

One of the listed "cons" is the spongy nature of the four-way controller buttons. My first XT1 (SN: 27XX) had a light leak and spongy, deeply set buttons. My replacement XT1 (SN: 81XX) has no light leak and a noticeably better feel to the buttons. Neither the light leak, nor the cure of that problem which, for me at least, included better buttons, were mentioned in the review at all. I find that strange.

We've used several X-T1s, and all had spongey rear buttons. If Fujifilm is now shipping cameras with improvements, that's great. Crucially, though, we have neither seen such cameras, nor been informed about them by Fujifilm (remember we tend to get early-production cameras). At which point, we simply can't publish a review based on anecdotal evidence that we can't substantiate.

I fully understand that you can't review something you haven't seen - fair enough - I wouldn't want it otherwise.  However, the light leak issue is well recognized, even by Fuji.  Someone who doesn't follow the forums here might well not know about that problem, or that Fuji is correcting it.  Perhaps it was worth mentioning for that reason?  The buttons are admittedly a tougher issue.  There are those here who feel there has been no change - and there are those here (including me) who have compared the earlier and later cameras side-by-side and found the newer cameras had buttons with a subtly better feel.  So, perhaps that issue is better ignored.

Another "con" is the fact that the ISO dial has a release button in the middle which must be pressed before it can be turned. To be fair, they did say that this might not bother some people due to their shooting style.

This is the whole point producing a review. We mention things that bother us, and we feel might influence potential buyers. We try to make these criticisms suitably nuanced, so that readers can decide for themselves if the points we've raised are relevant to them.

Yes, you did exactly that - provided the info and allowed potential buyers/users to decide if this was an issue for them.  I did point that out in my comment.

From my standpoint, that locking dial is a Good Thing, not a "con". I don't change ISO all that often and having that dial turn unintentionally would be a big problem, so I very much like Fuji's implementation and would not want it any other way.

I change ISO frequently so find Fujifilm's implementation irritating - personally I'd prefer to see an optional dial lock, as we've seen recently on Olympus, Panasonic and Pentax cameras.

Some people like chocolate, some vanilla - and that's good.  The dial isn't a problem for me; it is for you.  I do agree that if there was some way to have both chocolate and vanilla through having the option to lock the dial, that would be a better implementation and you and I would both be happy.

Similarly, they list the stiffness of the exposure comp dial as a "con".

No, we don't.

It was discussed at some length as a perceived negative.

I disagree completely... I can easily move the exposure comp dial on the XT1 with one finger, without taking the camera away from my eye and I'm no muscle bound weightlifter.

I'm pleased you can do that, but it's certainly not at all easy on the camera I reviewed.

They state that it takes two fingers to move that dial - well maybe if the operator is a weak little kid with tiny hands, but any adult with even reasonable hand strength should have no problem moving it with one finger.

Ah, ad hominem attacks; always a valid approach. Maybe Fujifilm has adjusted the dial stiffness too?(Not impossible, as I raised this issue before launch - the dial on the first pre-prod camera I handled was extremely stiff).

Andy - that was NOT an attack!  If it had been an attack, there would be no guessing about it (I am a lawyer).  I started out praising what you guys do and humbly pointing out that I am just a hobbyist.  That said, it is a fact that I have no trouble moving the dial with one finger - if you were here, I could demonstrate.  Perhaps the earlier cameras were stiffer, although I had no trouble with my first one - serial number 27XX; and the replacement camera, serial number 81XX feels much the same to me.  No insult was intended - just a differing point of view - isn't that what these forums are all about?

Best!

Greg

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow