The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,801Gear list
Like?
Imagery for ME! Yes!
In reply to fcheh, 3 months ago

People seem to think that images that have gone through PS are somehow not natural, i.e. they're not really what you saw with your eyes.

While that can certainly be true sometimes, I'd like to point out that images that come out of the camera are not necessarily representative of what you saw with your eyes. At least they're often not what I think I saw. I use PS to try to recapture what I saw, based on my memory of the scene.

For example, I took a macro shot of a plant shoot that I'm growing. My eye saw everything in focus. My camera did not. I took several shots at different focus points and stacked them in PS and came up with an image that looked closer to what I saw, but was still limited.

Part of that is due to the fact that my eye really probably saw the scene not much different from what the camera saw, but my brain processed the image to improve it substantially. The human eye sees things pretty well in the center, but the IQ drops off a lot on the edges (which are a lot wider than most wide angle lenses). The brain has been practicing for a long time (in my case a very long time) and knows how to interpolate things to produce a much better image.

Another example is the camera's response to color. It doesn't "see" colors the same way as the human eye does, so there can be tonal differences. In particular, some blues/magentas can look much different coming from the camera than what my eye sees. I try to improve on the reproduction in PS by adjusting the color in the image.

So if my eye/brain does this on a regular basis, why shouldn't I approximate the process in Photoshop?

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow