Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,639Gear list
Like?
Re: A few musings (disagreements) on the X-T1 Review
In reply to slimandy, 7 months ago

slimandy wrote:

Birddogman wrote:

I think the reviews here are generally very well done by knowledgeable folks who work with far more cameras in a month than I will see in a lifetime. They are detailed and complete. They impart a ton of valuable, unbiased information. I am just a long-time hobbyist. For all of those reasons, I am reluctant to take issue with anything in a full review, but here goes anyway.

One of the listed "cons" is the spongy nature of the four-way controller buttons. My first XT1 (SN: 27XX) had a light leak and spongy, deeply set buttons. My replacement XT1 (SN: 81XX) has no light leak and a noticeably better feel to the buttons. Neither the light leak, nor the cure of that problem which, for me at least, included better buttons, were mentioned in the review at all. I find that strange.

If the tested copy didn't have light leak they are right not to mention it. As for the buttons they don't bother me. If no-one mentioned it I wouldn't have thought of it.

Another "con" is the fact that the ISO dial has a release button in the middle which must be pressed before it can be turned. To be fair, they did say that this might not bother some people due to their shooting style. From my standpoint, that locking dial is a Good Thing, not a "con". I don't change ISO all that often and having that dial turn unintentionally would be a big problem, so I very much like Fuji's implementation and would not want it any other way.

I'm with the reviewer on this one. If I notive I need a higher ISO I want to be able to change it easily with one hand whilst still looking through the viewfinder. I don't think I'd turn it by accident, and it's easy to see what setting it os on anyway.

It's very easy to operate " with one hand," but not with one finger. You simply press the lock button with the forefinger while spinning with the thumb and third finger. The camera never needs to leave your eye. This only presents a problem with the 55-200 lens, which is heavy enough that it is difficult to support its weight with just the right hand.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow