The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Joris1632
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
Re: The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!
In reply to fcheh, 7 months ago

Post processing has always happened but the main reason has hardly ever been artistic. There was a period in the 60s or 70s (as Iremember) when integrity was the buzz-word and artists and advertisers alike printed whole frame shots even showing the 35mm perforations or edges of a 4x5. Ansel Adams may have produced a few famously heavily worked prints but they were exceptions in his oeuvre, he placed huge emphasis on good exposure hence the zone stystem.

All those hours of dodging and burning were strictly for amateur enthusiasts. Professionals then, as now, had it done for them. The samples T3 shows look to me like an art director's notes to a printer not the thoughts of the author!. The problem in Ye Olden Days was that no matter how perfectly exposed a neg was, different printing techniques required different originals. Coarse screen newsprint needed a much more contrasty B&W pic, glossy mags had varying standards and colour was a hit and miss affair. Then along came computerisation and Photoshop produced a standard for the whole printing industry: it was never intended to help amateurs improve their "artistic" and "creative" selves but to optimise commercial photos for printing.

I'm certain that all professionals working now in retail, editorial or advertising do their utmost to get the shot right in camera first time because PP is time consuming and expensive; there's little difference there to a "purist" approach. If hobbyists want to shoot a load of stuff and enjoy twiddling with it , so what?

-- hide signature --

Joris1632

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow