Thom finally resurfaces, with comments sure to be controversial, at least here ...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Maximus176
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?
Re: OK, "sure to be controversial" doesn't seem to have panned out. That's a good sign.
In reply to photoreddi, 6 months ago

photoreddi wrote:

Lyle From Canada wrote:

Not sure anything he said here is controversial at all. Seems pretty true across the board.

I agree, but if you look at forum comments made a month or two ago, reasonable comments such as Thom made would have been savagely attacked by a few, and highly criticized by some of the more moderate Fuji fans. People were routinely saying that the X-T1 had the fastest AF performance, not adding Fuji's caveat that it required using one exceptionally wide angle lens. Tony Northrup's initial mistakes didn't win him many fans, but when he revised his video review, he was still tarred and feathered because there were an lot of owners claiming that their X-T1s has excellent AF tracking performance. In fact it was far from excellent but the examples given just showed that the X-T1's tracking could get the job done if the subjects that it had to track didn't present challenges. One that I recall was of a toddler taking a few steps, another was of movement across the frame, not away from or coming closer to the camera. Hardly the same as a sprinter or a motorcycle racing towards the camera.

Some forum members recognized this, but they were in the great minority at the time. I guess that the initial overly defensive posture has become more reasonable, helped in great part by the sage comments from several respected forum members, notably Ray Sachs. At least that's what I see based on the first several replies in this thread.

Ahem

http://www.thebigpicturegallery.com/blog/2014/4/fuji-xt1-autofocus-speed

tracking focus on quick but big birds the 55-200 Xt1 never missed a shot. i was out shooting lambs bombing around fields the other evening and got plenty of keepers. Where the 55 -200 struggles is in lower light, and at full zoom it's operating at F4.8. bMaybe the new lenses with F2.8 throughout the range will give better performance.

Nick

Maximus176's gear list:Maximus176's gear list
Nikon D3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow