Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,650
Like?
Re: XS1 NewSettings, New sooc pics..C/C
In reply to Lisetta, 8 months ago

Lisetta wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

I never shoot at 12MP, always 6MP. I always have the sharpness set to soft, you can sharpen in PP.

With your settings there is to much noise, just look at the sky. Look at your image at 100% then mine shot at 6MP, you can shoot at ISO100 and DR200 or even DR400 at 6MP.

Hi Paul,

Since you're comparing, shouldn't your recommended settings and example be SOOC like Dane's? That's a nice photo, but it looks processed.

Also, I've read before about people using "sharpening at soft". Could someone explain the thinking behind it? It seems so counterintuitive.

Setting sharpening to soft gives you images with the least amount of processing. More sharpening never adds more detail, it just makes the images appear to have more detail if you don't examine the images closely enough. It does this by darkening the edges of subjects, making them easier to notice. Take a nice, sharp, full page photo of a face from a high quality magazine and it will look great when viewed up close. Look at it from 50 feet away and it won't appear quite as impressive. But if you "sharpen" it by using an Ultra Fine Sharpie to outline the borders of the face, eyes, lips, etc., the photo will look, uh, sharper. But then walk back to look at the photo from a distance of only a few feet and it will look much worse than before it was marked with the Sharpie.

That's essentially what sharpening does, and if too much sharpening is used, you tend to get artifacts called halos which make the photos look even worse, and when the sharpening is applied by the camera, it can't be undone, real detail is lost due to the destructive effect of the halos and/or by the edge enhancement.

The least amount of sharpening preserves all the detail that the camera is capable of producing even though it may not be obvious. Those photos generally need some more sharpening to make them look better unless you've making small prints or web size photos. If sharpening is needed it can be done much more effectively with a photo editor, because the amount of sharpening applied isn't fixed, but varies, depending on the final viewing or print size.

You also want to apply sharpening locally, not across the frame, because some areas like blue skies should not be sharpened. That only makes the sky look grittier than it should be if you look too close.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow