Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,064Gear list
Like?
Re: True
In reply to Mako2011, 8 months ago

Mako2011 wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

Sensors are a practical non-issue. Whether Sony or another brand (Canon excepted), the output is more than good enough for most photographic purposes.

True but one should also under stand that there certainly are photographic situations where the sensor does make a large difference in how the output will turn out. For those situations that fall outside the "most" photographic purposes...it is certainly valid to use one sensor over another. Sensor choice can be a significant factor for certain niches.

Autofocus - for moving subjects - is another issue. And Sony does not appear to be a leader in autofocus. Thom is right on the money in saying that autofocus hasn't improved appreciably in seven years: how is the D7100's autofocus better than the D300's? http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/its-the-focus-nikon-should.html Certainly my results bear this out. The D7100 at 24MP makes the limitations of the current Nikon 51 point autofocus system painfully obvious at times, but there is none better (for action) right now.

Have to agree. Improvements in focus and buffer is where I see the biggest emphasis to start to show up, in the short terms, to keep the DSLR train on track.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

I really really like Thom's article. He's hit the nail squarely on the head, and it's why I continue to pick up my DSLR even though I carp about this and that. Its AF will just plain work in almost any situation, and more situations than you might expect depend on fast, accurate tracking AF.

It's also why I get so frustrated with Nikon's handling of the Series 1 line. Some photographer-engineer in the development team noticed the same thing as Thom and created a fully responsive compact camera system, then turned it over to the marketers, who fumbled the intro with staggering ineptitude as they tried to protect P7xxx and entry-level DSLR sales.  Now we've got this V3 thingie. Ghick.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
THATNew
TrueNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow