Interested in the FE 70-200 but

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,823Gear list
Like?
Re: Interested in the FE 70-200 but
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 5 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I just read the minimum focus distance is nearly 5 feet at the 200mm end and it varies by focal length? Most other 70-200s I've seen have a constant minimum. e.g., Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS is about 45 inches regardless of focal length. It gave me pause on a 1500$ lens I'll just say that. Anyone else notice (or care).

Cheers.

MFD is usually not constant over a zoom range. And 3.3 ft at 200mm is actually quite close. My good old Sony F828 (28-200mm equiv, f/2-2.8), for example, goes to within couple of inches at 28mm equiv (where I do see higher magnification) to about 1m (about the same as 70-200G) at 200mm equiv. Likewise, Sony RX10 allows very similar magnification at both ends (24mm equiv and 200mm equiv) but of course MFD varies, and that makes sense.

I would be more worried with MFD being the same at 200mm as at 70mm.

You're the first one that actually got the other half of what I was talking about.  So MFD changing with focal length is normal on a lot of lenses.  Supposedly, the MFD is constant on all the Canon, Pentax, and Nikon Zooms I checked in this price range.  The Nikon 70-200 f/4 MFD is listed as 3.2 feet at 200mm and constant.  My thinking is, it might be another compromise that a lens designer can make to cut the weight of the lens.  And I'm still interested in the lens but I'm waiting for early adopters to chime in before I take the plunge.  Thank you for the reply I found out something new.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow