The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,097
Like?
Re: The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!
In reply to chkproductions, 8 months ago

chkproductions wrote:

Coming from my legacy point of view, I regard my darkroom (post-processing) experience as more of a tactile craft, ... it was a tactile process that gave me ownership of a rectangular piece of paper that I held in my hand with an image burned into it that I brought to life.

That's an excellent explanation of your response/reaction to the change. It makes perfect sense to me. And you did it without any "X is better" or "Y sucks" !

I shot film for years; mostly 35mm and a bit of medium format. I helped someone out in a darkroom on 2 occasions (having no idea what I was doing) but never got into it myself. My early photography was marred by the unpredictability of shooting print film and having 4x6 prints made. The process accommodated exposure errors, the prints were too small to see technical problems, and colors were up to "the machine" and for a while, I didn't know any better. (I also had no real exposure to good photography, so didn't realize my photos were as bad as they were !) I eventually did realize it and moved to slides; bought a light table and a loupe, and my photography made decent strides after that.

Digital gives me the ability to do the (digital) darkroom work I never bothered with before, because the space, cost and time commitment were all too daunting. It provides numerous other benefits that aren't really on topic (ease of sharing, organization, and options for printing in books). I can certainly appreciate the craft of producing prints from film and understand that digital wouldn't provide someone the same level of satisfaction. At the same time, digital gives me the control I never bothered to exercise in the good old days. I can also imagine the satisfaction that would come from shooting with a large format field camera and have entertained the notion of trying it a number of times, but I already don't have enough time to spend doing photography.

From that "tactile" point of view, I'd be quite happy just to have one camera that's as satisfying to use as my favorite film cameras. I'm thrilled with digital after I press the shutter; it's before that isn't quite as satisfying (at least in some ways).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow