V3 vs V1

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,691Gear list
Like?
Many things about the V3 sound good...but....
In reply to Scottelly, 8 months ago

Scottelly wrote:

I think you forgot about the improved viewfinder.

Now . . . compare all those upgrades to the differences between the Nikon D200 and D300 bodies.

Hmmm . . . but THAT was considered an upgrade people thought was worthwhile.

Besides, did you forget that the V3 can shoot full resolution photos at 60 fps? That alone is worth the upgrade for some people. Add the fact that the resolution is almost doubled (in total number of pixels) AND the anti-aliasing filter is removed, and you get a no-brainer decision.

Now add the fact that the newer camera is probably faster in EVERY way . . . with a faster memory card slot, which can take advantage of the fastest new UHS-1 memory cards.

And BTW, the fact that the screen tilts is SO important for many people (like me) that just that one feature makes the new camera worth getting. All the extra features, like Wi-Fi and other stuff are just icing on the cake, even if you don't care about the increase in resolution.

Imagine what people would have been saying if Nikon had introduced a D400 last year, before they introduced the D7100 with its 24 megapixel sensor, and it shot at 18 MP with no anti-aliasing filter? Everyone with a D300 or D300s would have been clamoring to get one.

Now, after thinking of ALL those things, is it worthwhile upgrade? If you don't care about speed the extra functionality of having a fold-out screen, or image quality, then NO it isn't worthwhile. If you DO care about those things, then it IS worthwhile . . . and you get all the other extras, like wi-fi and higher ISO (mostly for shooting video), and a better viewfinder as EXTRAS that you really didn't need, but you get them anyway . . . because you're getting the newest, latest, fastest, coolest, most betterous model.

I like many things about the V3. The fold out screen I really miss from my NEX cameras.

I'm sure the EVF will be good but it should be built in!

The sensor and overall speed and responsiveness I'm sure will be very good too.

Micro SD and yet another battery - Pffft! But its not a deal breaker.

WIFI and video don't bother me either way.

By the way I miss-type V3 quite often and type V£ for some reason..... £££££'s - oh yes- price!

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V2 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MoreNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow