The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
knickerhawk
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,270
Like?
Re: ghetto of a medium?
In reply to MaxTux, 5 months ago

MaxTux wrote:

I will, for sake of mutual understanding, try to quickly define my boundary between acceptable and intrusive computer processing something like this:

Computer processing does not push a camera-generated image beyond the definition of photography if it is restricted to the following:

• Selection of a sub-set of the image generated in camera ("cropping")
  • Change of geometry that could have been achieved by selecting a different lens and/or different optical axis vs. sensor geometry (rotation, tilt, shift).
  • Change of light response characteristics which are applied to the complete image area and could have been achieved by camera settings.
  • Correction of optical and sensor uniformity errors.

MaxTux

My thanks to T3 and Tex for turning this thread into a thougtful/thought-provoking discussion instead of the usual simple-minded back-and-forth bashing between one camp and the other.  As for your effort to define the boundaries of legitimate processing, I'm afraid you're going to find it turns to quicksand.  Let's consider the bolded "rule" above.  This  rule would also disallow the use of optical grad ND filters.  Is that really your intent?  More fundamentally, it delegitimzes virtually all of Adams' ouevre and a great many other master B&W photographers.  Is that really your intent?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow