The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,328Gear list
Like?
Let me amplify something you skipped over...
In reply to T3, 8 months ago

T3 wrote:

The great thing about photography (and art in general)

Here is the place I'll jump in, speaking as an artist who uses photography as one medium among a number. Photography is image making. It stands in relation to all the other image making methods that are millennia old. I have often been mystified by the often self-imposed apartheid conjured up as by the OP---a detachment from all these other modes of image making.

Besides the excellent examples of cropping and darkroom work that you gave in your excellent response to the OP, there is this "and art in general" bit. That is actually the huge part of your answer. I have always been mystified at the self imposed apartheid a certain set of photographers have created for themselves and the medium. As a quick snapshot(pun intended) of this, just consider how many times a certain cadre of great photographers are trotted out as examples of how to do things, or what to aspire to, yet others never are. It is as though these others are not even photographers, but something else entirely. An iconic example would be Man Ray, but any of the 1920's-30's surrealist photographers would do, as would several notable collagists and constructivist photographers. But then of course in a real sense it is true they are not "photographers"---they did not let a medium dictate to them what their work was about. Such dictation is the penultimate academicism and reactionary conservatism.

And putting oneself in a ghetto of a medium additionally cuts you off from seeing how different media can inform one another in one person's work. No better example of this than Charles Sheeler, someone else no one here thinks of as a "photographer" (if they even know who he is....), but the quality of whose photography most here would give their left arm to achieve.

Well, it is much easier to buy new gear than open up one's mind.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Rokinon T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow