What are quirks and strengths of the K5ii?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
robbo d
Contributing MemberPosts: 965Gear list
Like?
Re: lenses with K5IIs
In reply to SirSeth, 5 months ago

Currently I am sticking with:

17-50f2.8 Sigma - very sharp and good AF speed. Bit heavy as with most new Sigma lenses. Built like tanks but high quality optics. Stays on camera most of the time.

DA50-135 f2.8. Not so fast AF, but beautiful optics and bokeh. Nice for portraits and weddings. Have found occasionally jams and wont shoot, stuck AF. I have to re focus and try looking for more contrast. Unsure if anyone else has this issue(?)

DA12-24 F4. nice wide zoom. Initially didn't like it. Also had AF issues at infinity focus and didn't think it was so sharp. But for some unknown reason seem to have worn in ? Wierd, now focus' ok and getting good sharp results.

Sigma 50mm f1.4 - Purchased with the 50-135 as a bundle. Not used it much. F1.4 gives an absolute killer low light combo with the k5IIs. Reasonably sharp and the newer version superbly so.

DA18-55mm kit lens - A piece of true kit lens ....rubbish. Gives good results mid focal length and at f8.

DA55-300 kit lens - A real bargain with surprisingly good value for money and optics. Sharp enough throughout the range at f5.6. Hunts for focus and noisy on my Kx, not tried it on the k5 yet. Small, light but quality is ok.

FA28-105mm - old film zoom that's surprisingly good throughout the range. Not one i'd buy now, but it was cheap, new and a good option at the time. Pretty good results on my Kx.

50mm A f2 film lens. Manual focus but with Aperture priority auto. Still gives good results.

These lenses do me for what I need. Wish list:

Macro, perhaps DFA10mm Pentax or either Tamron or Sigma.

150 -500 Sigma or the new Tamron .....600mm for wildlife if i ever do much of that.

DA18-135 WR (light, weather sealed, good colours, little lens flare, fast focus) or perhaps the new Sigma 18-200 as walkabout lenses on holiday.

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow