Is the a7 as good as they say and what kind of lens cost am I looking at?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Northoceanbeach
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?
Re: A contrarian viewpoint…...
In reply to DFPanno, 3 months ago

DFPanno wrote:

If your pictures are a guide then by all means get the A7 if you can afford it.

I don't believe in the notion that you have to buy and sell several grades of equipment before you tap into good gear. In my life I would consider that a waste of my time and money.

I lost a good number of years by not going FF because I listened to advice on dpreview.

Mistake.

If I were to to it again I would have purchased a 5D the day it was introduced.

As pointed out the A7 not a first choice when it comes to things that move.

I would also point out that FF DSLRs are by far and away better cameras in most contexts BUT; they are fairly heavy with good glass and unless you are very committed you might have a tendency to leave it home.

Again; I think you have a good eye and would find a camera that produces A7 levels of picture quality a source of pleasure.

Awesome!  your are the first person I have ever talked to that knows where I got my screen name!

I'm actually one month away from sailing to canada and then down to San Diego, with much surfing along the way. It's going to be a surf and photo fest!  I hoping to park my dinghy near some point breaks and get a good angle on the waves.  Or one benefit to staying with the nikon and getting a longer zoom, I could get close shots.  They are coming out with a 800mm soon.  Also, spots like steamer lame with the view from the cliff, that might work well.  I'll have to play around with it.  I'll need a waterproof case to bring it in the dinghy in though.  Don't want it getting wet!

on another note.  I got to try out the a7 at the store today.  Took some side by side pictures with my nikon j1.  I loved the look and feel of the sony, the lenses are beautiful.  I like the size of the zooms on the nikon, the autofocus is supposedly better.  I'll be thinking about this for a week or two.

Northoceanbeach's gear list:Northoceanbeach's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 J1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow