Need new gear for new baby

Started Apr 17, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sffoodie New Member • Posts: 5
Need new gear for new baby

I am shopping for a pair of cameras to help document my first child and I am overwhelmed with choice.

My goals for these two cameras are to get the biggest sensor and brightest glass I can get in the most compact sizes and that have simple ease of use with the most accurate exposures in auto-modes (I will be using auto more than not)

1. compact fixed-lens camera with one handed operation, with the most versatility (largest sensor and fastest glass I can get in the most compact size). Must have integrated lens cover (no removable lens cap). This will be the camera I will use most often and keep with me all the time. Size and weight are a huge factor with this camera and it must have fast autofocus, boot up quickly and give great results without changing any settings, since I will be dealing with a baby too!

2. System camera with largest sensor I can get in the most compact size

My current gear I will be selling:

1. Lumix GF5 with 20mm 1.8 and a kit zoom - I LOVE this camera and I LOVE the interface and the touch screen to set the exposure and the super-accuracy of the auto white balance and exposure. The images I get from this camera I rarely want to edit. If panasonic made this camera in a fixed-lens version, I would buy that. Likewise, if they made a mirror less full frame system camera, I would buy that. I love the experience of using this camera. Unfortunately, this camera doesn't fit into either of the two categories I need because it has a removable lens cap and the sensor is too small for my system camera.

2. Nikon D600 with a portrait lens and a zoom - this camera was a disappointment to me and it takes more effort to get great images. I rarely use it because of the size and because my lumix takes great images effortlessly and with a fraction of the weight

My plan:

1. Canon G1X mark 2 - I was so excited about this camera, and preordered it, but the first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box was IT'S SOOOOO HEAVY!!!!! It's heavier than my lumix and lens and it's larger too. So far, the images are nice, but I am not sure I will keep it because it is possibly too heavy for everyday use. I have used the Sony Rx100 mark 2 and it is more practical in terms of size and weight, but I was hoping for better optics. Is there anything in between?

2. Sony A7 with a 35mm f2.8 lens - I have tried this and like it but I am hoping they quickly release a faster 30 or 35mm lens that is similarly compact

What should I get? What am I overlooking? I have heard good things about some new Fuji cameras. Thoughts?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow