Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sffoodie
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Need new gear for new baby
8 months ago

I am shopping for a pair of cameras to help document my first child and I am overwhelmed with choice.

My goals for these two cameras are to get the biggest sensor and brightest glass I can get in the most compact sizes and that have simple ease of use with the most accurate exposures in auto-modes (I will be using auto more than not)

1. compact fixed-lens camera with one handed operation, with the most versatility (largest sensor and fastest glass I can get in the most compact size). Must have integrated lens cover (no removable lens cap). This will be the camera I will use most often and keep with me all the time. Size and weight are a huge factor with this camera and it must have fast autofocus, boot up quickly and give great results without changing any settings, since I will be dealing with a baby too!

2. System camera with largest sensor I can get in the most compact size

My current gear I will be selling:

1. Lumix GF5 with 20mm 1.8 and a kit zoom - I LOVE this camera and I LOVE the interface and the touch screen to set the exposure and the super-accuracy of the auto white balance and exposure. The images I get from this camera I rarely want to edit. If panasonic made this camera in a fixed-lens version, I would buy that. Likewise, if they made a mirror less full frame system camera, I would buy that. I love the experience of using this camera. Unfortunately, this camera doesn't fit into either of the two categories I need because it has a removable lens cap and the sensor is too small for my system camera.

2. Nikon D600 with a portrait lens and a zoom - this camera was a disappointment to me and it takes more effort to get great images. I rarely use it because of the size and because my lumix takes great images effortlessly and with a fraction of the weight

My plan:

1. Canon G1X mark 2 - I was so excited about this camera, and preordered it, but the first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box was IT'S SOOOOO HEAVY!!!!! It's heavier than my lumix and lens and it's larger too. So far, the images are nice, but I am not sure I will keep it because it is possibly too heavy for everyday use. I have used the Sony Rx100 mark 2 and it is more practical in terms of size and weight, but I was hoping for better optics. Is there anything in between?

2. Sony A7 with a 35mm f2.8 lens - I have tried this and like it but I am hoping they quickly release a faster 30 or 35mm lens that is similarly compact

What should I get? What am I overlooking? I have heard good things about some new Fuji cameras. Thoughts?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow