Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,781
Like?
High ISO and no detail
In reply to swimswithtrout, 6 months ago

swimswithtrout wrote:

Nice shot, but that's why I continually point back to my Astrophotos, that are pushed WELLLLL..... beyond 5 stops, from the depths of a black hole itself, using ISO 1600 to 3200 and using 2-3 MINUTE exposures ! Where's the banding ?

Again, at ISO 1600-3200, with zero detail in the shadows (dark sky), I would not expect to see banding. That's just not a situation it would normally show in.

Here they are again, huge crops, since they were taken with just the Nikon 70-300 and not a telescope. There's plenty of random noise, but where's the banding ??

Shouldn't see any. Try doing that at ISO 100 12-bit RAW in the shadows where there is some detail in the scenes dark areas being pushed. In cases like that, it starts to be seen with even minor increase in EV (1-2 EV) but you still have to zoom in to see it. 14-bit reduces it as does shooting JPEG. Just not a problem for most shooting situations, as you just demonstrated.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
THATNew
TrueNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow