Why the E-M1 is better than a Canon 7D...and reasons why I converted.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rickreyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?
Why the E-M1 is better than a Canon 7D...and reasons why I converted.
6 months ago

The 7D is too heavy to hold to take video. The E-M1, especially with the 12-40mm, is a breeze to pull focus on and to pan with.

The 7D's video record button is in a stupid place. On the E-M1 it's readily accessible.

Live view on the 7D is a joke. Live view on the E-M1 is just as good as looking through the viewfinder, and makes it easy to take all kinds of odd shots.

No swivel screen on the 7D.

7 or 8 FPS on the 7D. Huge buffer. The E-M1 is like a Tommy Gun...taking in RAW. It's faster, and that's the 7D's claim to fame.

Full-frame focal points. 7D. Close but no cigar.

The E-M1 has wifi, the 7D doesn't.

The E-M1 has a touch screen, the 7D doesn't.

With a battery grip, the 7D is well over 1600 grams with a 15-85mm lens. The E-M1 can be carried with finger and thumb with grip with lens.

Art modes. 7D...not.

Weather sealed. OK. Both are. Lens as good as the 12-40mm that costs $1,000 that does 24-80mm that's weather sealed? Nope.

7D with lens on a sling on my side. Punishing. E-M1 with grip with lens on a sling on my side. Hardly noticeable.

This is why I shoot M43, i.e. OMD EM1, exclusively now and love it.

-- hide signature --
 rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +6 more
Canon EOS 7D Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow