What E-mount lens to bring with NEX on a Hawaii trip?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
francon25
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
What E-mount lens to bring with NEX on a Hawaii trip?
5 months ago

Hi all,

Long time lurker here but posting for the first time. I wanted to get some advices on what lens to buy for an upcoming Hawaii trip. I realize that there were some discussions before on this board but it seems that most were before the newest lens came out.

Currently I will be bringing a NEX-7 and my partner may bring a NEX 5R. The lens that we have are

- Zeiss 24mm/1.8

- SEL50F18

- SEL55210

I will be mainly shooting landscapes and maybe a few portraits here and there (not planning to shoot surfers or animals). Last time I tried beach landscapes with Zeiss 24, the pictures came out less than spectacular, likely because 24mm isn't really wide enough to capture everything - so I've been thinking about getting a wider lens for this trip.

The lens that I'm currently looking at are:

- SEL16F28 + wide angle converter.

I'm hoping that a combination of SEL16F28 + WA converter and Zeiss 24 would work for most of the scenarios, but then 12mm, 16mm and 24mm still seem a bit restrictive, so I'm also looking at other more expensive options that may potentially allow me to only take one lens with me each day:

- SEL1018 (would 18mm be too wide for some use cases)?

- SEL1670Z/SEP18105G (I actually like these two options better since they seem much more useful than 10-18mm in general, but I'm not sure going to 16mm/18mm would be a significant improvement in the wide angle area?).

Oh and I will be visiting Oahu and Maui, and I plan to do some hiking in the East Maui / Hana area. My hunch is that I won't be able to shoot good pictures of waterfalls with 24mm alone... but how far into the wide angle area should I go?

Appreciate any advices

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow