Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,818Gear list
Like?
Need help in mastering my XE1
5 months ago

I know shooting jpeg has limitations, and i actually shoot RAW with my S5 Pro with LR4 and i do actually get fantastic results with the S5 and LR4, but unfortunately what i am seeing with the XE1 files are plain garbage in all aspects.

But right now since i don't have the proper software for the XE1 I am trying to learn how to shoot the best possible jpegs, which I think fuji jpegs are the best.

BUT, i am seeing several issues as i am shooting more and more and this is where i need your tips.

First, i am seeing that my XE1 is underexposing quite a bit. Or it could be that is the darn bright LCD that is inaccurate and that is what is fooling me, because i see a good exposed image on the LCD but then when transferred to my PC the photo looks a lot darker, which explains why some of my previous photos i posted under the shade look not very well lit as well.

Second: Does the metering function actually work in fuji cameras, or could "my" camera be bad? Please look at the photo bellow of that vase, like i said, there was actually quite a bit more sun light outside and on the background that you see, but this is what the camera took.

I switched and tried all three metering modes and there is no change whatsoever. If i did that with my S5 and put it on center weigh or spot metering the camera would definitely have brightened up the front part of the vase.

And that seems to be one of the problems i am seeing. I am not sure what i am leaving out or if i am doing something wrong, other then not using an external flash.

I'm sure you have already seen this photo before Cute girls by the way.

Same thing happened here. The metering does nothing. One of the mistakes i am making is that in order to avoid super clipped highlights (which is already happening in this scene behind) what I am doing is lowering the exposure as much as i can, by either speeding up the shutter speed or by stopping down the aperture, but then the problem happens, i get the dark shaded front part of the photo like you have seen with my recent shots.

I don't think Auto ISO and Auto Dynamic Range will fix this, is it? Again, i think that if the metering actually worked, I would have gotten better photos here.

Yes, many of you will start saying to shoot RAW, and that's fine. The problem is that the RAW photo will also be like this, and i am still gonna have to (fix) it, but i don't want to be taking bad photos from the beginning all the time. The better photos i take from the start, they will look even better in RAW if i want to adjust them then.

What are your suggestions please?

-

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
ANSWER:
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow