Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sigxbill
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
"Upgrade" from 5D2 to 6D?
8 months ago

This is for all of you that have or have had both cameras. I currently have a 5d2 that I am quite happy with, and have acquired a fairly fast set of prime lenses that compliments the 5d2 quite well for me. However, I have read about people "upgrading" to the 6d, and wonder if I should do the same? Is it really an "upgrade"? and if so, it is just marginal or is there a night and day difference - that should compel someone like me to also "upgrade"? I am not a pro, but take my photography fairly seriously, and am thinking of doing some pro work in the future. I currently shoot mostly photo journalist shots of my kids and family from as interesting a perspective as possible. This means I often shoot in gyms at night for performances. I also shoot their sports, like soccer and volleyball. I like available light shooting, and also do some portraits - mostly outdoors during the golden hour. I find I shoot at iso 3200 fairly often, and purposely don't select 6400 because of the noise banding that becomes evident then. I have learned to live withing the limitations of the 5d2, and sometimes think it makes me a better photographer. Upgrading to a 5d3 is definitely not worth it to me, but the 6d is priced so that it is doable. So please - any thoughts - is this a worthwhile "upgrade"? Or am I good to go until the 5d4 or 6d2 comes out - which I assume would be a major upgrade?

sigxbill's gear list:sigxbill's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow