Fuji x10 6MP RAW DR400 EXR mode vs old 6MP DSLR

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,473Gear list
Like?
Re: Quick 'n' Dirty Comparison: EXR raw vs. D80 raw
In reply to Lightpath48, 8 months ago

Lightpath48 wrote:

The Nikon D80 sample is shot at identical ISO, shutter and aperture. Given the larger sensor, depth of field is much shallower. It's not a pretty picture. I've used ViewNX2 raw conversion, employing enhanced D Lighting at 30 on the slider, with WB adjusted to sunlight.

I'm going to suggest a slightly different method.

1) Pick a bright, outside object and shoot +/1EV shots until you find the point at which both cameras are not clipping any details on that object.

For this to show dynamic range properly you must choose a high contrast scene which would normally clip white and crush black.

2) Then compare exposure (slight differences are not important) and then lift the lowlights by 2 or 3EV to see how they expand.

3) Calculate the EV difference between the highlight portion and see where they both stop revealing lowlights as you increase exposure.

This is quite tricky and time consuming, but as long as you have a strongly high contrasted image to start with, it will work.  You do need darker elements which will not lift above black, though.

What I'm seeing is better highlight retention in X10 M size over both L size, and the D80 sample, and that is a surprise. Unfortunately the camera focused beyond the window in the first sample, so the indoor part is OOF.

Set the X10 to f5.6 or wider.  If f5.6 an APS-C camera should be set to at least f16 to give similar DOF

On my Aperture viewer the D80 final jpeg sample shows less highlight clipping than either X10 final jpeg file, although unfortunately the background foliage details are lost because of the shallow depth of field from the larger sensor. But the sample doesn't look as good as either X10 samples to my eyes. I really was expecting something else. My conclusion: the operator is the variable this time.

One issue with increasing dynamic range is that  the overall contrast will reduce, so that a sensor with much higher dynamic range will appear to have a "flatter", less appealing image.

To verify this, read the conclusion in DPR's review of the effect of the extra DR from the S5 Pro:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5pro/19

In other words, you need to subsequently process an image with extra DR to get an appropriate "look".

To some extent Fuji are playing this DR game in reverse with their larger X-Trans sensor cameras.  The X-E2 and the X-T1 (and I think the X100s) now don't record as high a DR figure as the earlier cameras.  This is not due to a poorer sensor but the tone curve which is applied during in-camera processing.

Fuji are applying higher contrast to the lowlights. They now crush to black at least 1EV sooner than the earlier cameras.  Why would they do this?

It potentially gives a more punchy look to the OOC JPEGs.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow