D7100 Banding Issue...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Entropius
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,167Gear list
Like?
Re: The typical apologists are out in force again
In reply to Shunda77, 5 months ago

Shunda77 wrote:

This issue is constantly downplayed, but yet it is constantly annoying new users of the D7100/5200.

It didn't annoy me even though I noticed it my first day with the camera. I have my D7100 in my pack and I'm biking down to the park after work to shoot. If a bird comes out after the sun sets I will gladly shoot at four and five digit ISO's, and will print the results if they are worthy, and they will look good.

Criticizing the photographers exposure 'competency' is particularly offensive, the issue appears in shots that are not pushed as hard as some suggest, and for certain types of photography it is a constant headache requiring extra post processing which always has a deleterious effect on image quality to some extent.

Yes, it happens. I can see it in 100% crops when pushing shadows a few stops. I have never had it screw up an otherwise good shot.

It's a particular way this sensor breaks down at the limits -- just like the old Olympus 12MP sensors got awful shadow noise. It's a fairly benign one, considering.

It is a reduction in performance over previous models, it is as simple as that, downplaying the issue just doesn't cut it.

It's a problem the older models didn't have. Not everyone cares.

I will not touch either of these cameras because of this issue, better to go for the D5300, or wait for the unreleased D7200. Sticking with the older models is also an option.

Perhaps. The D7000 sensor doesn't do it. If it bothers you so much, get a D7000.

At the end of the day, the question is: can you take good pictures in extreme conditions with a D7100? Sure; I have shots at ISO 6400 where I can see every hair on every feather of a bird. They print up beautifully. If I torture the files, or peep at them closely, yes, I can see banding. But I don't care: I don't demand absolute perfection, only a camera that will consistently spit out great images.

The D7100 does that better than any other camera I've used, with the possible exception of the Olympus E-M5.

Entropius's gear list:Entropius's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
THATNew
TrueNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow