tripod and ballhead suggestions

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
RightLight
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?
Re: tripod and ballhead suggestions
In reply to akjos, 4 months ago

Choosing tripod and ball head got harder for me than choosing camera and lenses! When I went to full frame from my D7000, my old velbon + vanguard ball head had to be replaced. After much research I went with Induro CT 213, a 3 section carbon fiber tripod. I was about to go with similar benro without central column (you may be familiar that there some points against the central column, for example see the Mansurov's suggestion already posted). I however, went for the central column to add a bit of flexibility on height (you pay some stability the more you raise the central column) whenever that is absolutely necessary. I am 5' 4". Its a pretty good tripod - and there is aluminum version at about half the price.

For ball head I ultimately went with Photo Clam PC-34ns for about $165. This is an excellent ball head - very fluid motion and very stable with friction control (I think I can live without friction control). Note that plate doesn't come with this ball - that's extra $30. But I did not need it since I had bought a used RSS plate for my D800. It's been very good combo for my D800 + Nikon 24-70/2.8. I bought this system with the possibility of adding 70-200/2.8 VR II and 300/4 VR.

RightLight's gear list:RightLight's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow