FE 35mm F2.8 vs Voigtländer 35/2.5 with A7R for street photography

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,393Gear list
Like?
Re: On tests shots versus actual shots ...
In reply to blue_skies, 6 months ago

I will probably get another 35/1.4. I have a Voigtlander Close Focusing adapter all ready for an M mount lens anyway. 1.4 versus 1.2. I don't care about edges either, but I do tend to shoot a lot of shots wide open and I enjoy the effects I can get in the out of focus areas. Not a huge difference between the 1.2 and 1.4, no doubt. But I was not as good of a photographer when I last owned the 35/1.4 so I didn't appreciate it. I also owned the Zeiss 24 at the time and it was my preferred focal length back then (similar to 35 on my A7 now).

This was the 35/1.4 on my NEX 5N a year and a 1/2 ago:

And the same kid with my A7 and Zeiss 55 now (similar perspective) - this bottom shot is lower light, but I use a reflector to add light from the window behind my son):

Sure, I used a reflector on the more current shot and post processed better, but that's my point . . . I was at the earlier stages of my learning curve back then and that's why the 35 probably didn't impress me as much (though, I liked it well enough).

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow