Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hans von der Crone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,364Gear list
Like?
First impression of the A6000
8 months ago

Some background: I had the NEX 5n, then sold it and got the NEX6, sold that because I found it a bit bulcky and got the RX100. Started missing the EVF and versatility of the NEX so now I got the A6000 to complement my RX100 and Canon 5DIII + L lenses. So I know a thing of two about photography and have quite a bit of experience with NEX systems (too bad I sold all the lenses for it too, but I'll live)

Picked up my A6000 after a long wait today, been fiddling with it a bit, but couldn't resist posting my first impressions. Don't make a big deal out of this, read this as it is, first IMPRESSIONS... Let's make it clear from the start : I love it!

Why? Well, mostly because almost all of the little things that bothered me about the NEX6 (and others) have been solved :

• ability to set mininmum and maximum ISO for auto ISO (love it!)
  • very fast AF (a big difference), especially the tracking is amazing (been testing a bit with kids running towards me
  • EVF is a bit lower in resolution than the NEX6, but a LOT smoother
  • even if a bit bulcky, it's still a BIG difference compared to my SLR
  • the 3 memory functions also remember JPG vs RAW, now it's very easy to switch between JPG and RAW (still, would love a C1, C2, C3 setting on the dial)
  • doesn't bother me, but the dials on top definitely should've been switched to make it even a better camera
  • love being able to turn off noise reduction for JPG (as the JPG engine Sony uses is still a bit, well, rubbish)
  • the extra buttons for custom settings are just great
  • might be me, but I have a feeling the grip has improved too compared to the NEX6 (more rounded)
  • finally a display mode where the back LCD shows all settings but no image, and the EVF shows what you're shooting but no redundant info
 Hans von der Crone's gear list:Hans von der Crone's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow