Gear advice needed (Zoom lens in the 50 to 200-300mm range )

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mrik
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
Gear advice needed (Zoom lens in the 50 to 200-300mm range )
3 months ago

Hi everybody.

I'm planning on upgrading my gear a bit. I do mostly landscape and love (a bit too much) wide angle so I think I need to change my photography habits to improve my skills.

I'm going on holiday in Iceland this summer and to make sure I make the most of it need some new gear. The trip will be expensive enough so I know I won't be going back anytime soon, hence the need to have a good reliable photography gear.

For now I Have:

- K-7 (with rear dial occasionaly not responding for a while. I can't afford to have it die on me during the trip)

- Pentax kit 15-55 wr + 50-200mm (the later I almost never used)

- Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6 (the most used for landscape)

- Pentax 35 DA f2.4 (almost always on the body)

So I'll be Buying a k-5II (waiting for an hypotethical cashback in June ?) and I already bought a ND64 filter to put on the Sigma for the waterfalls of course

I know I rarely use my 50-200mm but to improve my photography I'd like to give a try to that range, for landscape and at the same time to try portraits and so on...

So What do you think will be a good option to upgrade the pentax 50-200 ?? knowing that after the k-5II my lens budget will not be big.

I'v looked at the sigma 70-300 apo DG macro and it seems a pretty good value for the money + there is the macro.

And there is the the pentax 55-300... but its specs seems to be the opposit of the sigma, and it's twice the price of the sigma..

Any advice apreciated here, anything I will desperately need on this trip, ... shoot

Mrik's gear list:Mrik's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow