Fuji x10 6MP RAW DR400 EXR mode vs old 6MP DSLR

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,652
Like?
Re: Real DR vs pseudo DR, peering behind Oz's curtains.
In reply to Trevor G, 8 months ago

Trevor G wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

I don't know of anyone other than Trevor that doesn't recognize the similarity of how Fuji's S#Pro and EXR sensor's can substantially increase the captured DR, by either one or two stop's worth.

The Super CCD technology used by the S Pro series is vastly superior to EXR technology. There really was extended highlight headroom there up to about +3.5 to 4EV.

The same cannot be said for the X10.

If it was the case you would have been able to demonstrate it. It simply isn't possible, to the best of my knowledge.

When making his own DR measurements does Trevor use step wedges as DPR does in its reviews or a different technique used by any other recognized experts? No, his technique is based on taking pictures of bright white clouds. Ask him about it.

If real world high contrast images cannot show any real improvement of EXR at DR400 over X-Trans at DR200 then I would suggest that their measurements are slightly suspect.

I have yet to see an X10 demonstrate the extra 2EV over an X20, or any other camera for that matter.

The X20 has a newer, more modern, much improved sensor. Comparing the X10 to the X20 is not only foolish, it directly contradicts your claim about DR performance being primarily based on the sensor size. When the X10 was introduced there was no X20 to compare it to. But the F200EXR and other EXR cameras existed, and they were widely recognized as have the ability to capture much wider DR images than other cameras with the same size sensors. Real DR that it, not the shifted tone curve DR techniques that Fuji, Nikon, Canon and most other cameras had been using for years.

Instead of mocking, why not produce actual results that demonstrate your point? You've had lots of time to do that...

Mocking? I've only pointed out what you've actually already written. You mock yourself with your bizarre, unproven theories. How exactly does a cloud actually present an accurate, measurable light intensity that a step wedge couldn't duplicate? More importantly, how do you accurately measure the darker subjects at the opposite end of the scale? Do you measure with real, reproducable numbers or just tell yourself what you want to hear?

Waste time trying to convince you? You're like someone else here, where "actual results" are either ignored or denied if they show what you don't want to see.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow