Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,018
Like?
True but
In reply to trac63, 7 months ago

trac63 wrote:

Shunda77 wrote:

This issue is constantly downplayed, but yet it is constantly annoying new users of the D7100/5200.

A lot of people, including myself, see it as photographically irrelevant. That does not make us "apologists".

Here is a photo I took at ISO 6400 with significant shadow areas in the frame:

No banding

No sign of banding.

True but, did you shoot this as a 12-bit RAW then pull exposure in the shadow area in LR by any amount? If it's just a OOC JPEG with no exposure push in post...you would expect zero if any banding. If you shoot the scene again in 12-bit raw then process to bring out the shadow detail by pushing exposure in LR...then you may find the banding folks talk about. Easy fix with Topaz though. Not something I would worry about at my level.

I get a little bit of banding at ISO 12,800 but even that is fixable with Topaz DeNoise. And 12,800 is an insane speed that I never use anyway.

The banding, when you do see it, is more obvious at ISO 100 as it stands out a bit more from the clean areas ISO 100 gives, IMO. Still, the issue is very controllable (not as good as with the D7000 obviously) and not nearly as bad as in older Canon bodies. Pluses and minuses to 24mp

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
THATNew
TrueNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow