A6000 Best Lens For Sports Photography

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,547Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony FE 70-200/4G OSS
In reply to Justin K, 6 months ago

Cricket in Malibu CA wrote:

I shoot my daughter's soccer games. I have the a Tamron 18200 but it isn't a long enough reach. I just bought a Sony adapter version 3, plus a Sony 70-300 A mount. That works for me.

I need really fast focusing because these girls are all over the field and they run like the wind.

My combo Sony adapter plus 70-300 lens on my NEX 7, does the trick!

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
Cricket in Malibu

Do you have samples of these images?  Would I be able to use the same adapter + the 70-300 A mount?  Would this set up still take advantages of the hybrid af system?  What are the reasons NOT to do this?

With LAEA3, native AF is used but I doubt it will benefit from the a6000 PDAF at lease without some kind of firmware update. But someone with a6000 and EA3 might have a different view.

With EA4, the native AF is overridden and replaced with SLT PDAF (capable of full time PDAF) as seen in a55/57/65. It is pretty good for action/sports in any light condition.

Pros: Fast AF in any light and broadens lens options dramatically, especially long FL and zooms.

Cons: adapter adds size and weight (An issue negated with longer, faster, larger lenses). OS option is very limited (unnecessary for action/sports, and for most practical purposes IMO but many seem to not be without it).

If you do go this route and want stabilization, Sigma has a few A-mount lenses with OS (usually not on their APSc lenses but common on FF lenses). For a 70-300, the OS would be the sole reason for me to recommend Sigma 70-300 HSM OS over Tamron 70-300 USD or Sony's excellent 70-300G SSM... all FF lenses BTW.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow