Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maggiemole
Regular MemberPosts: 373
Like?
14-140mkII on GX-7: suprising result
4 months ago

In the beautiful spring weather we've been having in the UK I have been out with my "new" 14-140 taking pictures of trees before they have all their foliage. And I have been severely disappointed in that I got poor focus on the twigs against the sky. Every time. So today I decided to be a little more rigorous in testing the equipment (the lens came used from eBay without a guarantee, so I wanted to be sure that it wasn't the lens at fault).

I took my tripod, which I normally don't use. The sun was behind me, so excellent light on the trees. There was almost no wind, just the occasional zephyr. And I set up manual focus to get focus peaking (again, not something I normally use) at about the centre of the lens's range, so no edge effects. I used f8 mostly to keep away from any diffraction effects, and boosted the ISO a little so I got a nice fast shutter speed. Oh, and I shut off the OIS of the lens: I would have shut off the sensor stabiliser too, but I didn't see how to do that. Because I'd forgotten to pick up the remote shutter release, I settled for the electronic shutter instead.

At the end of the tests (duplicated on my 40-150mm old zoom), I had just a few shots left on the SD card and also the battery was getting a bit low, so for the heck of it I took a few shots handheld, with the Power OIS back on.

Back home, loaded the images into Photoshop. And to my astonishment, the only ones which came out well were the handheld ones, with Power OIS. All the tripod ones using the in-camera stabiliser were much worse: I would not have believed it.

So I am a convert to manual focus, and a believer that the Panasonic lens Power OIS is much better than the in-camera one. And grateful that I don't have a reason to have to carry the tripod everywhere. Happy outcome! Is it what you would have expected?

Maggie

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow