X-T1: is there any current camera with even worse video quality?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832Gear list
Like?
Re: Photography vs Videography
In reply to Richard Murdey, 3 months ago

Richard Murdey wrote:

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

I'm quite aware of that.. I shoot much more than birds.... actually, I rarely shoot birds. My point is that I am a photographer, not a videographer. I would prefer cameras designed with photography alone in mind. I realize that is swimming against the tide due to the so called "convergence" of video and photography.... probably more of a sales initiative by camera makers than anything else. It's here, it's not going away but I am just saying I don't need video on my cameras and don't want video on my cameras. I prefer looking at pictures that don't require a power supply to enjoy them.

It is reasoning similar to yours that made Nikon decide to drop video from the Df. And I for one applaud them for taking that strong line, whatever my opinion of the Df in general might be.

I'm NOT a fan of Nikon, nor particularly of the Df, from what I've read about it -- plus its price for what it is -- but I certainly agree with you about them leaving video off it!

Although it's "nice" to have a 1080P video option on all our DSLRs, I can't recall EVER having used it on ANY of my Pentax DSLRs. I used video features a few times on my prior bridge cameras -- but even then, very seldom. And with the prices for a straight-out "high-quality" video camera these days generally well under $500 unless you're looking for something with which to shoot professionally (and frankly, I think some use video from those budget units professionally), I don't see the need.

Still, from a MARKETING perspective, I understand why when ONE started doing it, they ALL felt they had to do it. But I agree with Jim. Something likely suffers. It's quite possible our K-5s and K-3s would do even BETTER still work if not for whatever else had to be jammed into them to also make them shoot video.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow