Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,448Gear list
Like?
Better with X-E1 than X-T1
5 months ago

The recent DPR review of the X-T1 did the best job I've seen of explaining the difference  between xtrans1 and xtrans2 JPEGs, between the graduated shadows of XP1 / XE1 and the more clipped shadows of XE2 / XT1.   The change works well for many subjects, but not for my Siamese cat.  Try as I might -- and I've fiddled with all the film simulations and highlight/shadow settings -- I can't easily produce the nuanced dark shades of this cat with the X-T1 ooc jpegs.  It's simple with the X-E1 though.

When I try this with the X-T1, the face, paws, and tail go too black, displaying unrealistic contrast from the body of the cat.  The X-E1, on the other hand, nails it with no post-processing.

My suggestion to Fuji would be that they add a new film simulation -- Provia Classic -- for subjects with nuanced shadows. You can come close on the X-T1 with ProNeg Standard and Color set to +2, but it doesn't quite match the original xtrans Provia.

Some of you are probably wondering why I would want to shoot a cat anyway.  It's additional entertainment while I'm watching the news on TV. Same reason that I shoot pictures of the sink or paintings on the wall when I'm in the WC.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow