IRAN, as seen with E-M5 Dramatic Tone and Monotone (IMGS)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,398
Like?
one of the best ever
In reply to Sergeg, 5 months ago

Sergeg wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Sergeg wrote:

Superb series, how do people react to cameras, did you ever feel threatened?

I never ever felt threatened.

Most people loved being photographed.

But of course, I have a habit of approaching in a very open and disarming way: I never act sneakily and I think that probably there would be more adverse reactions if one tried to "steal" an image. On the contrary, I act openly (quite a necessity too when working with fisheye : you really have to get as close as you can, up to the point of a flying flag touching your head...)

In fact, I have never been photographed as much myself, as some kind of tourist attraction (the european guy with the camera). People asked my wife and myself frequently to pose with them.

There have been just a few exceptions: people that did not want to be photographed (and I respected that of course), mostly for cultural reasons:

- some older women in Abyaneh who probably had gotten tired of tourists

- sometimes girls and women in chador did not like their face to be photographed, but they did not mind to be in a shot in an anonymous was (hence quite a few silhouettes)

- when we visited a certain person in his home, he was VERY happy to pose himself and also his grandchildren, but his wife shied away, because she was not fully covered.

- in Kashan, we stumbled upon a wedding in full swing. The young bridegroom objected to me pointing a camera at his young wife (although she was made up and dressed like a Bollywood movie star), which made me wonder what the point was of all that display in broad daylight; I figured that this woman would probably soon be covered from the looks of all men...

Those were the exceptions.

(Oh yes, and I kept my camera tucked away too when we passed Natanz nuclear facility by bus, but that is another story.)

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Sounds like an amazing experience, as the images do indeed testify.

Although it is easy to still be caught up in euphoria and thus not look at things objectively, I can still confidently say that it has been without a doubt one of the best travel experiences we had in our lifetime.

All the stars were aligned perfectly.

Many places on earth are beautiful nature-wise or city-wise and there are friendly people everywhere if you are open to that.

But the combination of those two factors is rare, because most beautiful spots are overrun by mass tourism and that often spoils the inter-human contact.  Not (yet) so in Iran.

And the food is yummie too, if you venture beyond the standard kabab and into more mysterious vegetarian and yoghurt-based territory (not forgetting the sweets). Ah well, and two weeks without a drop of alcohol have never hurt anybody...

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow