Fuji x10 6MP RAW DR400 EXR mode vs old 6MP DSLR

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,473Gear list
Like?
Re: EXR versus X-Trans, or X10 vs X20
In reply to DMillier, 8 months ago

DMillier wrote:

Regarding non-EXR dynamic range "expansion", I don't see how this can be expansion at all.  It's just Active D lighting style dynamic range optimisation.

I believe that Active D Lighting is different to what Fuji do with EXR software (ISO amplification and tone curve techniques) processing.

There can be no DR expansion without some kind of hardware solution (EXR or the SuperCCD solution in the S3 and S5).  The question of whether EXR actually works seems to be hotly debated still. I'll make my own mind up about that in due course.

What are you actually talking about as regards DR expansion?

We know that the sensor has a fixed amount of DR - it's what happens in JPEG processing that everyone is referring to.  Dynamic range expansion is a fact - you only need to look at images with and without DR techniques to see the extra highlights recorded or revealed, both using EXR hardware and EXR software from Fuji.

Other manufacturers achieve the same sort of results, some using similar techniques, others using variations.

Because EXR hardware still uses two images recorded at different durations, ending simultaneously, which are then combined at the image level, not the sensor pixel level, in camera, the results are not amazingly different to EXR software techniques.

That's one reason that I keep saying that EXR hardware is pretty much a kludge because, in spite of the hype, it just does not produce results dramatically different  ( I and I think many others expected they would be) to EXR software techniques.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow