Protective filter… or not? I say beware of filter quality.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
JohnFrim
Contributing MemberPosts: 520Gear list
Like?
Re: Protective filter… or not? I say beware of filter quality.
In reply to NAwlins Contrarian, 6 months ago

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

re: "The filter on the front is an Optex 55 mm HAZE(UV) and it did not appear "overly" filthy, but it did appear to have a film of sorts."

Let's see: cheap / no-name filter, film on it, somewhat dirty--any surprise it degrades image quality?

On sufficiently-expensive lenses, I usually (not always) use a protective filter, but I always get a good one. Generally I find that the better Hoya filters are multi-coated, well-made, and relatively reasonably-priced, so I get a filter from their "Pro 1" line or similar. Right now B&H has a clear one in 55mm for $16.95. When you get to, say, a 77mm protective filter you might have to spend $50 for a good one.

I think the surprise to me is that I never noticed this degradation of IQ back in the days of film using this same lens and filter. Perhaps it is a matter of incompatibility with the glasses/coatings and digital sensors. Or maybe now that it so easy to pixel peep we just do too much of it. But I think that is dodging the issue. The differences between the no filter vs filter are just too obvious even without magnifying the images. I will try swapping filters among several lenses to see if it is actually lens dependent, as some have suggested.

JohnFrim's gear list:JohnFrim's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow