Protective filter… or not? I say beware of filter quality.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: Protective filter… or not? I say beware of filter quality.
In reply to tqlla, 5 months ago

tqlla wrote:

cplunk wrote:

Looking at BH photo's website, it looks like a "high quality" UV / clear multi coated filter, 55mm is likely going to run $35 or up.

To protect a lens that's replaceable from multiple sources for around $120.

Those economics don't make a lot of sense to me. I'm also pretty sure the front of that lens is A LOT tougher than most of these filters, and that many drops cracking filters might do absolutely no damage to the lens. I have at least one lens with a seriously bent filter ring (Minolta 85mm, the oldest original A mount 85mm) that I bought that way. I can only image what caused the damage, but I can't beleive a filter would have lived, the lens is fine, except for the bent ring that can no longer attach a filter. I seen similar on several lenses.

(most of my lenses are replaceable for under $300, I only use filters on a select few that don't fit hoods well, like the Minolta 28-135 f4-4.5 But even then, I don't use the lens much outside where I feel it's at risk and needs "protection" because I'd also be more worried about flare)

On much more expensive lenses, it makes more economic sense to spend the price for a good filter to protect that expensive lens. Of course, you spent all that much for the best possible image quality, and the filter ads potential for degrading that.

Of course the original lens elements are stronger than a filter, but if they get damaged, they are not replaceable.

Also you have to realize that the BBC is 30 years old. Cleaning it, too much could rub off the original coatings. I have had 2 28-85mm, where the lens coatings wore off.

Finally, if you have a good copy of an old lens, its worth protecting, because a replacement 30 year old lens may not be as good.

All the question here, is to know if a brand new filter, with nano-multicoating (dedicated for the digital era), is able to make a significant "upgrade" of your old zoom by filtering light significantly better (to avoid this sort of colour cast provided by film lens coatings mounted with high pixel rate sensors). If not, no matter the quality of your zoom copy should be (BBC, BC, SH) images will continue to have it's typical "cottony" rendering of eighties zoom, imho.

Here the Minolta prime AF 100mm F/2,8 macro (not significantly cottony)

Here the SH zoom Minolta 28-135mm F/4-4,5 ("cottony" if you look at the background)

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Shoot RAW+ ...think JPEG »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow