Questions on fine tuning autofocus (Reikan focal, lens or body, etc)?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jgan96
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Questions on fine tuning autofocus (Reikan focal, lens or body, etc)?
4 months ago

Hi all,
I recently bought an 80-200mm f/2.8D (two ring) lens that seems in good functional condition. However, the previous owner told me it tended to backfocus with his bodies, and I feel like that made me a little paranoid  Now, I'm looking into checking and fine tuning the AF system, but I'm a little confused about all the options.

Honestly, I don't trust my eye right now, so I'm thinking about picking up Reikan FoCal because I have heard some pretty good things about it and I can use it for all my lenses. However, has anybody tried it and does the software actually work? Also, what focal length should I calibrate my lenses at to get optimal AF throughout the whole range?

I also talked to a Nikon authorized repair center about calibrating my 80-200mm f/2.8D, and they said that it was not the lens that backfocused but the body itself. However, I don't really buy this. Why would Nikon offer the ability to fine tune lenses individually as well as a body AF fine tune? How does the AF system actually work? Can a lens be calibrated?

Thanks,
JGAN

jgan96's gear list:jgan96's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow