Canon G16 for architectural / museum shots?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Turbo 46032
Regular MemberPosts: 324Gear list
Like?
Canon G16 for architectural / museum shots?
7 months ago

My daughter will be spending a few weeks each in Rome and Paris. She has a DSLR and some glassware (Nikon D5100) plus access to my glassware. Due to the nature of the trip (7 weeks total, each and every day visiting museums and such) the school and company that runs the trip (study abroad) strongly suggested they do NOT bring a DSLR or anything bulky like that. Even her professor, a guy whose camera gear costs bizillions, is only bringing a couple of Leica P&S's.

The focus would be building shots, indoor shots, and details where a long-ish zoom would be useful, definitely low light capable, manual controls, etc. I'd rather not go the Nikon Pxxxx route, she's used to Canon P&S's. She's taken several photography classes at the college level and she's very good.

Budget would be in the $500-600 range. Would a G16 fit the bill, or should we look for a Micro 4/3 Panasonic GF whatever or Olympus Pen whatever? We have a Canon S90 but the lack of longer zoom is a no-no, likewise the Panasonic P&S... I don't believe a super long lens would do it (like those monster bridge camera zooms).

Any thoughts?

Turbo 46032's gear list:Turbo 46032's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Canon Pixma MX860
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot S90 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow