ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stevenmh
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
What did I do wrong with this photo
8 months ago

G5 + 14-140 II

Both photos taken within moments of each other, same camera settings, except top photo is ISO 250 and bottom is ISO 200.  Both processed in LR with sharpness = 35, output sharpness = screen medium, NR = 15.

I imagine both of these would look good printed at 5x7, but the top one I noticed the softness when I cropped it a bit and set it to the background on my PC.  Looking at 1:1 you can see the bottom photo is fine, top one isn't as sharp.

Whenever I'm not happy with a photo I try to figure out where I went wrong to learn from my mistake.  I assumed I missed focus, so I started looking for where the focus landed.  However, it looks like the entire frame has slight motion blur.  Compare the detail on the blue car, for instance.  I would assume then that I wasn't steady and caused camera shake, except that at 1/500 and OIS on, shouldn't I pretty much have to do it on purpose?  I'm no pro, but I use the viewfinder for stability and know not to stab at the shutter button.

Should I have used higher shutter speed and kept OIS on?  Or higher shutter speed and OIS off?  Or same shutter speed and OIS off?  Or is this purely a camera holding technique problem? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow