ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pixelsmithy
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
My Blood Moon pics: K-01 & Bigma
8 months ago

Short story:
I've got a couple decent images and crops up on my Flickr stream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelsmithy/

Apologies to those of you who hate Flickr. You are under no obligation to try to look.

Longer account:
This was one of our planned astrophotography classes (free at our local university thanks to a NASA grant), but since my wife was ill, and I figured I could do it as easily from my yard, I did not attend the class at the observatory. I set my phone alarm to 1:35 AM (I thought) but somehow made it PM. I awoke a couple of minutes after 3 AM and hurried out the front door with the equipment I had set up the night before.

One dumb thing I did was attache my p0 ballhead to the K-01, instead of the Bigma's tripod foot. No idea why I did that, but the Arca-Swiss monoball p0 did a find job of supporting the whole thing with no sag, even racked out to 500mm. I was very impressed with that. I highly recommend that ball head. HUGE weight capacity and a unique way of locking/unlocking that can be done even wearing mittens, if necessary.

I haven't had time to closely look at all of the images, but it was obvious on the Live View/Focus Peaking that there were moments of better seeing and other moments of blur, due to the atmosphere. I shot with the 2 sec self-timer to hopefully let any movement from my
pressing the shutter button settle down. (No mirror flop to worry about with the K-01)

If it is clear for the next one in October, I think I will try to bracket and HDR to include some stars in the image. Hopefully I will be a little better acquainted with my tracking equipment and will be able to do a time lapse, of that one, as well. With a little planning I could probably be shooting both cameras on different tracking equipment (K-5 II and the K-01) on a Vixen Polarie and a SkyView Pro with dual DC drives (and hopefully an autoguider by then).

Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska

-- hide signature --
 pixelsmithy's gear list:pixelsmithy's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
Pentax K-01 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow