Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rick L
Contributing MemberPosts: 905
Like?
Wonderful versatility of NEX
6 months ago

This is what I really enjoy about the NEX (I have a 5N).  For me, photography is a hobby and all about fun, what I enjoy from image capture through presentation.  I personally really enjoy using well made manual focus lenses.  My standard kit is to have a set of primes, wide angle, normal, short tele.  On my Nikon D600, that usually means a Voigtlander 20mm/f3.5, a Nikkor 45mm/f2.8 or Nikkor 50mm/f1.8Ais, and Nikkor 105mm/f2.5 or 100mm/f2.8.

On my NEX, I can use my Metabones Speed Booster, use the exact same lenses pretty much the exact same way, and save nearly a pound of weight.  It's not a huge amount, but sometimes it can make quite a difference, plus the NEX is much more compact and discrete.

If I really want to save weight (about 1-1/2 pounds), and be more inconspicuous, I can take my m-mount lenses, a Voigtlander 15mm/f4.5, Zeiss 35mm/f2.8, and Voiglander 75mm/f2.5.  In exchange, I give up quite a bit of lens speed, but that's about it.

And if I want to go really light and/or need autofocus, I can use the Sony 16mm/f2.8 (DxO cleans it up quite a bit) and 35mm/f1.8.  I don't have the short tele here (Sigma 60mm is the obvious choice, but it's a bit short for what I like).

The right tool for the right situation, but one body that does most of it for me.  I still turn to my Nikon when I want my best IQ (especially more dynamic range), but it's hard to argue with what the NEX does in such a compact, unobtrusive package.  For me, anyway.

Does anyone else out there use the NEX this way?  How do you take advantage of the NEX's versatility?

Rick

-- hide signature --
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow