Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Briansdad1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114Gear list
Like?
I'm back - learned a few things
8 months ago

I'm back from a 10 day vacation to DC and Virginia, and 31 gig of images. I've learned a lot though many of mistakes but also have some images to share. But first I have a lot of sorting and deleting to do. For this post I have another image (and a lesson learned).

This morning, my first day back, I saw a bird on my lawn that i've never seen before. Turns out to be a male Yellow Shafted Northern Flicker. So out comes the camera and a few dozen images later I am totally frustrated. Turns out I left my polarized filter on. It's a cheep filter and it was a dark grey morning. I can't believe how much that filter degraded my image. Below is the best image I could get. This is with manual focus with focus assist on. (Better image to come):

I took the next two images with all the same settings , including the manual focus, one with the cheep polarizer on and one without.

So, back to my bird. I was a little brighter out when I got to this image (after waiting for the bird to return) and I did some PP.

Lessons learned: (1) remove filters immediately after use; (2) buy a good polarizing filter!

Briansdad1's gear list:Briansdad1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow