Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fishywisht
Contributing MemberPosts: 816
Like?
A700 v A580 re: action & sports
3 months ago

The A700 & A580 I see at very similar prices. Even though the A700 was earlier and more expensive, the A580 more recent and cheaper. So price is not the issue to me with these two.

I am aware that the sensor performance of the A700 v A580 is very much like the D300 v D7000 - regarding the sensors and performance I can see that at the extreme high ISO the A580 seems to have half a stop noise advantage, and maybe a full stop when you consider the detail you can claw back with the extra megapixels.

What I am less certain about is the handling and speed in operation. Now I already have a Sony for walkabouts. What an A700 or A580 would be for is more for sports tracking and high framerate shooting, half the time locked in manual. I looked up the focus times and the A580 looks a tiny bit slow and the A700 isn't as fast as the D300 which I have used either. I've used big and small Canons as well so I think I could survive a smallish viewfinder.

I'm wondering if there are any "gotchas" to using the A580 for action or if it's that much worse in performance than an A700. I don't adjust settings much once I get going. I wouldn't mind a rapid switch to preselected AF point button like the big Canons but I don't think any Sony has one.

Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow