X-E1 Viewfinder and First Impressions

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
mdb1986
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 Viewfinder and First Impressions
In reply to Desierto, 8 months ago

Desierto wrote:

"Again, these are just my observations. Not meaning to offend anyone. So I've shot a lot more with the Fuji system. It takes beautiful photos. Lenses are very nice as well (albeit very heavy). But I just feel like I can't compose a photo when I don't know what the colors are going to look like. A sunset turns more golden when I drop the exposure a bit. Or, the colors in a flower look so much more vivid - or whatever. Probably isn't an issue for a more experienced photographer, but is a huge one for me. I love pretty much everything else about the camera. I think unfortunately, the Fuji is going back to it's home. And the worst thing is, there isn't another option I've found for mirrorless when the screens/viewfinders are any better in terms of color reproduction. I am just confused honestly. It seems odd to me to sell a $20 screen with a $1000 camera. The "wow" factor of your average Joe at a camera shop would go up by 10x it seems if the screen looked really and indicated what absolutely stunning photos the Fuji can take. But, it's likely just me depending on the wrong things when I take pictures. Again, just my observations - which are worth exactly what you're paying for them - ahem, nothing."

Stick with it, man! You note that you're not an experienced photographer (bravely, I might add), if you "switch" you'll merely move on to difficulties with the new system you choose. I've been shooting for 30 years and really believe the X-E1 (my first Fuji) to be an excellent piece of workmanship.
Pulling or dropping your exposure is an old trick that you'll find with any system you use and is something we all did with film (esp Velvia) for years! You're already learning a thing or two without trying. If you've got you meter set to "MULTI", switch it "AVERAGE". I too have found that the meter especially at "MULTI" tends to overexpose by up to a stop, especially when shooting outside with a big bright sky.
I've come to like mine after a couple of weeks so much that, even though I don't know you, I'd hate to see you give up so easily. If you've got questions, post them here. Dig through the post archive. You'll learn more than you can ever imagine.

Thanks.  So very kind of you.  I always try to start my posts on dpreview with the "I'm an novice idiot" disclaimer at the beginning.  Partially because it's true , partially because admitting you're still learning is probably always good, and partially because it tends to draw kinder more understanding replies from other members.  I currently shoot with an EOS M, and the Fuji was my "test" to see if another piece of equipment would really help all that much.  The answer is yes, it definitely helps, but does it help to the tune of costing 4x more than my entire EOS M system?  I'm not sure I can honestly say yes.  And I'm pretty sure the answer there would be a definite no if I were to spend $1100 on good Canon glass.  I really want a better burst and fast AF for action shots, not having to deal with an adapter like I would on EOS M to get a telezoom.  But I don't know that all that's worth the investment, given that I'm guessing on exposure.  I tried using the AEB with the Fuji, which seems pretty nice, but I hate having to go through my photos and deleting 2 out of every 3.

I wonder if I'm asking for something that just isn't important enough to most photographers so Fuji won't include it.  Just seems like such a low cost upgrade though.  Me calling Fuji wrong is sort of stupid though - they have WAY more experience than little old me.  If I'd started with the Fuji, I probably wouldn't be saying all this.  But oh goodness, do I miss my screen on the M!

mdb1986's gear list:mdb1986's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow