D7100 Banding Issue...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,050Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 Banding Issue...
In reply to Glen from Bedford, 8 months ago

Glen from Bedford wrote:

Humm... thanks Phil... must be my unit and many more. I guess I need to pay the piper and send it in for service.

You would be very pleased to own a d7100 if you had owned a Canon...which are known for more visible banding. That being said, the d7000 uses a Sony Exmor sensor the D7100 a Toshiba. The Toshiba offers better tonality and resolution, but does not employ the patented sensor circuitry that makes for such clean shadowed RAW files. The D5300 has yet a different sensor with much less banding than the d7100, which the d7200 will very likely use. In most situations, banding is not an issue, but if you push shadows or underexpose significantly to preserve highlights it will show up, so the rule with a d7100 is get the exposure right, and ETTR - just like a Canon, but again more tolerant than a Canon of high DR scenes - oh yes, and some advanced NR that can remove any residual banding, like NIK's plug-in. You could be really lax with a d7000. Your camera is almost aßuredly NOT faulty and Nikon won't - can't - do anything to fix it. The solution, alas, is a new and different sensor architecture and imaging chain, which is essentially the next gen body. Or buy a d5300 instead.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
THATNew
TrueNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow