Post your Blood Moon pictures

Started 8 months ago | Photos thread
F Stop Fitzgerald
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
From the deck of a cruise ship with a 90mm!
In reply to areichow, 8 months ago

I am a professional magician/comedian doing a show on the Disney Fantasy cruise ship.  Last night after my performance I heard about the eclipse and sat out on the open deck.

It was a cloudless sky in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

On the ship I did not have a tripod and only had my A7R and two m-mount prime lenses: a 50mm and a 90mm.  Not exactly the ideal setup for astrophotography on a moving ship IMHO.  I was forced to use the Leica 90mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit M lens

To keep me company, on the iPod I played both the studio and live versions of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and remained in a chair for the 90 minute duration so that each shot would have a similar orientation.

Except for the last shot, the manual setting was ISO 250, 1/500th at f/8

I took two handheld shots, every 5 minutes.

Later I picked the best of each pair and severely cropped them down to the moon.  Then in Photoshop CC, I made a composite.

So far Space.com has posted my image and this morning the BBC has asked me permission to use it.

Here's the shot:

F Stop Fitzgerald's gear list:F Stop Fitzgerald's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha 7R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow