Protective filter… or not? I say beware of filter quality.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: Protective filter… or not? I say beware of filter quality.
In reply to William Curtindale, 8 months ago

William Curtindale wrote:

I guess I'm an old stuck in the mud and will never get out of that mode.

When I order a new $2000 lens I always add a T* filter to the order and install it when the lens is received.

I am fortunate to enough to have all high quality lenses that suite my photographic needs and I have a T* filter on each.

I have used T* filters on all my lenses way back from the days when Hasselblad introduced T* coatings. At that time I did a research project to analyze the capability and affect of T* coatings.

If I remember correctly, the T* coating thickness was equal to one third the length of green light wave length and would greatly reduce refraction / reflections inside the lens. The signal of light passing through T* coatings would cancel unwanted characteristics and retain contrast.

Hi William,

If yes, it should be easy to check if it's true, by mounting a nano coatings CZ T* filter dedicated to digital photography especially on a Beercan, SH or other Minolta goldies (which don't received coatings required by the digital era) and checking if you can get any improvement...? Especially if it can reduce the typical colour cast (visible depending of the incidence of the light) and/or this cottony rendering of eighties lenses (if you know what I mean).

But maybe you (or someone else) already tried this?

I know modern lenses have coatings to handle these things but I am still stuck on using a T* filter (maybe too bad for me but that's it).

Oh, yes I have had an occasion where the filter has saved the front lens element.

-- hide signature --

A99, A900, A700, R1, w/Zeiss + Sony G Glass
My Picasa Albums: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/109849611643818398019/albums My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/TheWillybug

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Shoot RAW+ ...think JPEG »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow