pentax K5, lenses for traveling

Started Jan 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,832Gear list
Like?
Re: pentax K5, lenses for traveling
In reply to zetkay, 3 months ago

zetkay wrote:

Hi , I am buying Pentax K5 (not only) for my upcoming trip. Could you please help me with suggestion satisfying this criteria: max of two lenses, covering macro, portrait, wildlife and landscape. After reading the lens reviews I realize that a compromise will probably have to be reached covering this situation. Also what size memory card would you suggest. Thanks for your help, Danny

I think the closest you can come to that goal with two lenses is the following...

1. The Pentax 18-270 F3.5-6.3 18-270 lens (thought to be a rebadged version of the Tokina 18-270 lens) which is currently $596.95 at Amazon.com: Pentax 18-270 F3.5-6.3 lens at Amazon Prime

2. One of THREE Pentax Macro lenses, which are either 35mm, 50mm or 100mm. I own the 100mm WR, and I swear by it -- one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used. The autofocus is whiny, and it "hunts" a lot, but that seems to be common with macro lenses. I don't recall quite what a paid for mine a couple years back, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the full MSRP $849 Pentax is asking for it now, at its website... Currently, it's $569 via Amazon Prime which is AN EXCELLENT DEAL (as Amazon remembers what its registered customers bought, and when, it told me I bought this lens on Sept. 17, 2011, and offered to show me the purchase. Turns out I paid $619.95, which was still a decent deal. But getting it for almost $51 LESS THAN THAT, even -- almost $300 off MSRP -- is A STEAL)! Pentax D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR at Amazon Prime

One comment about the link above. It says it's being sold by "Another Deal Site" but FULFILLED BY AMAZON PRIME. The other night I strongly advised someone NOT to buy from "Another Deal Site," as I said it had looked "shady" to me in the past. I have a caveat to such comments... ANY TIME ANY VENDOR is "being fulfilled by Amazon Prime" GO FOR IT! In such cases, AMAZON.COM is putting ITS reputation on the line and IT IS responsible for sale and delivery, and if you're a Prime customer, like me, for also getting your order to you in 2 days, or one day if you pay an extra $3.99.

One other possibility. Sigma sells an 18-250 F3.5-6.3 lens, as well, that also says it's MACRO. I bought that last June for $399 when it first came out, partly because Pentax had nothing like it at the time (and the Pentax 18-270 still SAYS nothing about MACRO). However, the "macro" on the Sigma lens isn't a "full macro" like you'd get on a dedicated lens. You can get up to, I think it's .25x, or 1:4 magnification with that lens -- but it's a pretty decent lens, overall -- especially for the price. The D FA 100, on the other hand, actually magnifies A SHADE beyond 100%. When Popular Photography reviewed it in its May 2010 issue it found it's macro magnification level to be 1:0.97, meaning the maximum size of the image is actually about 3% BIGGER THAN what it was in real life at closest viewing. Trust me. It can get some real close-ups.

Good luck and I hope you have a great time and get some great pics with whatever you decide!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow